Sunday, August 5, 2012

A necessity.




"Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountains is going home; that wildness is a necessity; and that mountain parks and reservations are useful not only as fountains of timber and irrigating rivers, but as fountains of life."
John Muir, Founder of The Sierra Club



Picture courtesy of one of my best friends Zach. 

He and his older brother begin their 20-day long adventure on the John Muir Trail in California today, and first on the agenda is the Half Dome. I learned yesterday that this peak is actually the inspiration behind the North Face logo. Pretty sweet. I also just found out that an old junior high/high school friend Dave and his buddies are doing the same trip, also starting today. I connected the two, and it will be fun to see if they cross each other along the way. Dave and his friends will be making a documentary of their expedition. I can't wait. 

If only I were able to take an extended leave of absence from work for 20 days to do this with them - I'd give anything. John Muir's quote sums up my feelings on life to a T. It's this kind of life that is a necessity for me, and I'm having complete faith that one day I will get there, where it will be right outside my door everyday all day.



This picture has SO much unspoken grandness, greatness and awe, and I'd have trouble believing someone if they told me they could look at this and not be inspired by it. These boys will be in my prayers throughout the month, and I am already beginning to be impatient about the 20 days until they all return. (My worst habit). I know the pictures and footage will be nothing less than spectacular. 

But yes, it is places like this that bring me to love life, even more, and allow me to feel "home". That is a big little known fact of me, and where one of my heart's deepest contents lies. Please, while there are only about 25 days left of summer, explore and enjoy and please find home outside of the literal. I guarantee you will find any peace or reassurance that you might be looking for. 


"The earth is filled with the Lord's glory." Habakkuk 2:14


Enjoy your night though, happy sunday, "day of rest". I just came home from work to dinner of lobster and steamers. Thank you mama & papa mac :) i am loved. 

peace&love,
Kell


No comments:

Post a Comment